I am getting the Download failed. A valid URL was not provided error on update
If you are using a theme which has the one-click update option, you could get an error when trying to download the latest version saying “Download failed. A valid URL was not provided error on update”. This is happening because Envato recently changed their API.
How get over this
Well, there is no “fix” for that, we will release updates for our products which will fix the issue. Until that time, you will have to manually update the theme. If you forgot how to do this, here are the steps:
- You need to deactivate the current theme in the “Appearance > Themes” section by simply activating a different theme. Once you activate a different theme, you can delete the theme you are updating. Don’t worry, your content will not be lost.
- Download the new version of the file from your new Themeforest download. If you downloaded the “Main Files” from ThemeForest, then you need to unzip the archive file you received, the themename.zip will be inside of it. (themename depends in the theme you are updating).
- Upload the “themename.zip” file in the “Appearance > Themes” section. Click on the “Install Themes” tab at the top and choose to upload the zip file.
- Once it uploads, choose to activate the theme.
- Lastly, update the included plugins if any. You will see a notification message letting you know the plugins have a new version and need to be updated.
That should be all!